October 6, 2017

Lemon Tart - Vegan - Gluten Free

This lemon tart was something of a trial, when I was a non-vegan, I used to love lemon tart and lemon meringue pie, but never really enjoyed the egg taste of the original recipe. So, I am delighted to find I can make a fresh tasting, healthy, Vegan and Gluten Free version of one of my favourites!



Let's begin with the base.

In the food processor grind the almonds into crumbs, then add in the dates, vanilla and salt.



1 cup ground almonds
1 cup soaked dried dates (1 hour soak time)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt

Press into a 20 cm lined pie dish and chill in the fridge while we prepare the delicious lemon filling.

For that we will need a medium sized saucepan and a spatula to stir.

Into the saucepan, place all the ingredients and before heating, whisk in the tapioca flour with a fork.  Place on medium heat and let it thicken and cook, it doesn't take too long, about 10 minutes.



1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 cups cashew milk (or nut milk of choice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp maple syrup
1/3 cup tapioca flour




Pour on top of the pie crust and place in the fridge until set.  I found this to have a better flavour the next day.  I am also now a convert of tapioca!  Amazing stuff!


Enjoy!!

x Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed