September 27, 2017

Carrot Cake - Vegan - Gluten Free - Raw

Carrot cake is one of my families favourites!  It's so good to be able to make a healthy, vegan and gluten free version we can all enjoy.  It is also raw, so extremely easy to make, especially if you have a food processor. You won't believe how good this tastes and how similar it is to the real thing.
My Carrot Cake Recipe

I use my food processor for easy grating and mixing,

Ingredients...
For the cake
2 cups of grated carrot (about 4 medium carrots (I use the medium size grater attachment on my food processor)
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup soaked dates
1 cup walnuts - leave out until the end (I rinse these first to wash the bitter taste away)

Mix everything in the food processor until combined except the walnuts, the mix should still be a little chunky, then add the walnuts and give a quick, 10 second mix, so they aren't pulverised and unrecognisable in the cake. Spoon out into a lined 20 cm long, loaf pan.

For the Maple Cream - 

1 can coconut cream (scrape out the cream from the top and drain off the water)
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
Juice and zest of half a lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract

Blend this together in the food processor and then spread on the top of the carrot cake.  Sprinkle with some extra cinnamon if you like.
Place this in the fridge for about 3 hours or freezer for 1 before lifting it out using the lining, slice it up and enjoy.
I found the flavours to be nicer on the second day, so if you are going to freeze this, make sure you store it in the fridge for at least 24 hours before you do. 
I hope you enjoy!

Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed