September 18, 2013

Veggie Burgers...Mmmm

I've been making these veggie burgers for awhile now, they are sooo good for you and taste yummy too. I have one for lunch most days and feel so good for it.  I make up a big batch and freeze them so I can defrost them as I need.  Of course, the first day I make them I have them for dinner with a baked potato smothered in coconut oil, yum!!

Gluten free, dairy free, 
Veggie Burgers!

Ingredients...

375 g Bag of dried chick peas, soaked overnight and cooked
1 TBS Olive oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
Vegetables - you will need about 6 carrots or a half a butternut pumpkin.  Plus, I use whatever I've got in my kitchen that needs to be used...  In this version I've used 6 carrots, a red capsicum and 3 celery stalks, but zucchini would be wonderful too, anything that you enjoy eating really, just not anything too watery.
3 egg whites
1 tsp Paprika
1 TBS Mixed herbs
Salt and pepper to taste or a vegetable stock powder

How to make...
I pull out my Bullet Express food processor and on the grate side, blitz up the chick peas.  If you can mash them with a potato masher, do that, the burgers will hold together better this way, but, food processors are made for people with arthritis so I'm not ashamed to put mine to work or of my slightly grainy looking burgers :-)



Put them aside, and then using the same food processor, shred up the onion, garlic, and vegetables.

Heat the olive oil in a big fry pan, and cook up the onion, garlic and vegetables until soft.  Add the paprika, herbs and seasonings and let cool

Once cooled, mix in the chickpeas, and egg whites, mix well.



Grab medium sized handfulls of the mixture and form into balls.  You should get around 20.  Put them on a plate and refrigerate for at least an hour.



You can either fry these in a pan with a TBS of olive oil, about 5 minutes each side or grill them on high, about 8 mins each side.  Either way, press them down a little, but not too thin, you want them to be a little chunky otherwise they will fall apart on the first turning. Cook until brown and crispy, turn over and cook other side.

Done :-) :-)  These are such a yummy addition to my day, packed with vitamins, protein and sustained release energy, hope you enjoy!  xx S

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed